Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Cat Food Tin Makeover

For years, I've used this same ugly-but-free tin to hold my cats' food. It was always slightly annoying, but lately it has been almost unbearable. Perhaps as I discovered the enormous world of blogging and find myself constantly stalking the most craft-, DIY- and decor-savvy people, some of it has rubbed off on me. So here's my little mini-makeover inspired by so many fabulous people with a penchant for spray paint and making ugly things pretty (or in this case, more bearable and less noticeable).



So, I searched the garage and found ample amounts of white & black spray paint and proceeded to put on about 4 coats of white spray paint on the can and a couple of coats of black on the lid.



I picked up some cool letter stencils at Hobby Lobby when I was home visiting my mom (can't believe my small home town has one of these and my large current city does not!) and picked up some black acrylic paint at our local Ben Franklins and already had a little kit of paint brushes from long ago - probably a Dollar Tree purchase.



I used a pencil to very lightly trace the letters onto the can from the stencil (which doesn't show very well in the picture below) and then used a couple of small paint brushes to fill in the stencils with the black paint.




At the end of the project, I have a much more incognito cat food tin that blends a lot better with my white kitchen AND the big arse white trash can that came with my husband when he moved in and insisted on keeping....








4 comments:

  1. Very nice little project, and yes, it's a HUGE difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sunny! I'm loving the Halloween posts you're doing. Maybe TONIGHT we'll have time to pull out some fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great transformation! I love how a little paint goes sucha long way

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love a fast, budget-friendly project that helps carry the colors of the room!

    Carol
    antiquetexan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete